GEYC is selecting 3 Romanian participants to take part in the “European Cooperative Youth Network for Human Rights Online” European project that will take place in Istanbul, Turkey from 17th (arrival day) until 25nd (departure day) of January 2015. This is a training course that aims to find solution for combating all forms of hate speech online.
Please notice that this call is for Romanian participants only.
Other applications will not be considered. Deadline: 26.11.2014. Apply now!
About the project
|Sultan Ahmed Mosque, Istanbul, Turkey|
This project was motivated by the increasing need to combat against the growing problem of human rights violations on the Internet, which are usually in the form of “hate speech”. Based on the idea that the use of human rights education is one of the most efficient ways in such a combat, the project aims to raise the awareness of youth workers about the importance of this issue and equip them with necessary competencies to combat all forms of hate speech online through non-formal education.
For this purpose, this project brings together 21 youth workers in a training course to be organized in Istanbul, Turkey. The participating youth workers from Armenia, Azerbaijan, Bulgaria, Croatia, Georgia, Romania and Turkey are already engaged in various activities related to the topic, and they are willing to actively use and disseminate these educational activities. They will be engaged in an interactive learning environment through a participatory learning approach.
The project intends to be an inspiration for more frequent use of the mentioned educational activities as a consequence of the partners’ active work for the dissemination of the project results.
Taking advantage of this gathering of youth organizations from different parts of Europe, this project also serves as a starting point for the creation of a “European Cooperative Youth Network”, which is intended to be an online platform for a Europe-wide community of youth organizations and youth workers that cooperate for better ideas and practices.
The objectives of this event are:
• Contributing to the knowledge of participants on human rights online;
• Developing a common understanding of “hate speech” and discovering its social implications;
• Sharing experiences and good practices in relation to combating hate speech online;
• Raising participants’ awareness about the importance of intercultural learning and non-formal education for preventing discrimination and hate speech;
• Equipping the participants with the necessary skills to implement existing educational methods against discrimination and hate speech online and to develop new methods and tools;
• Contributing to the dissemination of educational tools developed for human rights online;
• Reflection on future cooperation opportunities in the field of youth and potential inclusion of other relevant organizations;
• Creating an efficient mechanism that will facilitate future networking.
Available places: 3 participants
- until 26th of November - submitting the application forms at email@example.com;
- until 29th of November - selection of participants, notifications and confirmations (paying the participation fee - please notice that the participation fee is non-reimbursable);
- after 29th of November: organizers will arrange the travel details (please be ready to cover your travel costs: at the moment of the call, the cheaper return flight to Istambul costs 100 EUR, however we expect a price increase of 20-30 EUR by the moment of purchase, feel free to check www.tarom.ro for the current price level). GEYC will support you throughout the booking process and the reimbursement procedure;
- between 17th and 25th of January: the training course takes place: enjoy Turkish culture, intercultural exchange and enhance your knowledge about hate speech online.
- Over 18 years old;
- Previous experience in youth field;
- At least one Romanian participant should belong to a minority group from Romania.
- Personal and professional motivation;
- Gender balance;
- Age: participants over 18 years old;
- Fluent English level;
- GEYC volunteers and GEYC Community applicants will have priority to participate;
The organizers will cover the following costs with the support of the European Commission:
- 100% of meals, accommodation, activities costs;
- transport cost: up to 180 EUR per participant.
Participants will be required to cover:
- a participation fee covering administrative costs for this project (the fee will be paid in RON, by bank transfer at the exchange rate given by the ING Bank for the day of payment; the fee will be paid after the participants are selected. Please don't pay any fee before you receive the confirmation e-mail): 50 EUR for GEYC Community (please note that for this call we will consider the members that joined the Community before November 12th , 2014) applicants and 80 EUR for other applicants (GEYC active volunteers are not required to pay the participation fee);
- transport cost- only the amount exceeding 180 EUR;
- (if needed) medical insurance;
- (if needed) any other personal costs.
In order to travel to Turkey, Romanian participants should own a valid ID card and passport; the passport should be valid for a period of at least 150 days from the date of entry in Turkey.
Arrangements regarding medical insurance are the responsibility of the participants;
In order to be reimbursed, Romanian participants should travel to Turkey only from Romania.